When public notice in newspapers has been threatened, dozens of national, state and local organizations have come out in its support. State press associations in Kentucky, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Texas and Virginia report that the following groups have at various times joined statewide coalitions supporting newspaper notice by providing testimony at legislative hearings, signing public letters and/or activating their grassroots networks.
Some of these groups have opposed efforts to move municipal notices from newspapers to government websites. Others have opposed legislation that would eliminate newspaper notice in specific categories, like state contracting bids or foreclosures.
In most cases, coalition support was solicited from local chapters of national organizations. In other cases, public policy partnerships have been established with statewide organizations. The statewide organizations listed below are italicized. National groups whose chapters have provided support in multiple states are in bold.
If there are other organizations that should be on this list, please let us know at admin (at) pnrc.net.
• Alliance for Retired Americans
• American Farm Bureau Federation
• American Institute of Architects
• American Library Association
• Americans for Prosperity
• Associated General Contractors
• Center for Advocacy for the Rights and Interests of the Elderly (Pennsylvania)
• Citizens For Pennsylvania’s Future
• Clean Water Action
• Environmental Defense Fund
• International Brotherhood of Teamsters
• League of Conservation Voters
• League of United Latin American Citizens
• League of Women Voters
• National Consumer Law Center
• National Council of Churches
• National Disability Rights Network
• Public Citizen
• SeniorLAW Center (Pennsylvania)
• Sierra Club
• Texas Campaign for the Environment
• Virginia Interfaith Center for Public Policy
• Virginia Poverty Law Center